Sunday, August 11, 2013

The nursery project (almost) completed

At last I can share with you the little nursery project I've been working on to celebrate the birth of our first granddaughter.  It took me much longer than expected due at least in part to an ankle injury that severely hampered my movements for several weeks.  (Back on my feet just in time to go back to work - not the most exciting mid-year vacation time since I hardly left the apartment for 4 weeks!)


The 'crowning glory' of this scene is the beautiful baby shawl that Susan gave me especially to include here, note the tiny rosebuds on each corner.  Susan's talent with yarn and hook always astounds me, as does her generosity.  Thank you Susan!! The cushion was part of my 2011 Christmas gift from my daughter-in-law Lamina, it's been waiting for the right home and I'm sure she will agree that this is the perfect place for it.


Another piece of Susan's lovely work that I've included is the pink and blue blanket that I won in her giveaway some time ago.  The angel is by my cousin Lillian in England. The basket is by Glenda (originally grey, painted cream to blend in with the colour palette).  Glenda has moved on from minis these days but although she might be 'gone' she's definitely not forgotten!  I bought the paper roses ages ago in an art supplies store, I'd almost forgotten I had them in my stash. (Note to self - dig out those boxes and remind yourself what treasures you have hidden away!)  

  
The 'jumping-off point' for the whole project was the Beatrix Potter 'Time for Tea' plate by Carrie (click here for her Etsy). I'd been casting around in my mind for several weeks for that little spark of inspiration that all else would flow from - as soon as I saw the plate the rest of it, including the colour palette, just fell into place.  The tiny Mother Goose book  is also by Carrie. I made the vintage style blocks from a printie I found online.  The letters H B P are our little girl's initials.


The incredibly tiny shoettes are also by Susan, aren't they delightful?! The rosebud embellishment is unbelievably small.  (Books by me, pram from my stash.)  


The picture on the box top in the bottom shelf is a copy of a treasured photo of my mother's toys taken and hand-coloured about 1920.  I originally made the little faceless doll to sit on the child's bed in the 1:16 house, she now has a new dress and a new home. 


I think the back wall needs something above the chair to balance up the bookshelf but I'm waiting for the right inspiration.  There is a clear plastic front that's yet to be installed (to keep out dust and little fingers) but the back is removeable so it'll be easy enough to add to it as time goes by.  


The new owner...



32 comments:

Carrie Lavender said...

Hello Norma.
It looks fantastic!! and she is so gorgeous!!! What a special gift. I do hope you are better. Carriexx

lamina@do a bit said...

It's just SO gorgeous and pretty! Such a lucky little girl :)

Susan@minicrochetmad said...

Oh, your new baby granddaughter is precious!! Love the gift roombox and I'm sure it will be loved and appreciated by this little baby as she grows.

What about a birth sampler for that wall space?

afairytalecometruewyrna said...

Congratulations on your grandmother title. It must be absolutely fantastic. She looks very awake and smart.
Sad with your holiday that it should be used that way. I hope you are now completely on top again.
Your room box is so delicate, I love the rocking chair with pillow and blanket, it looks so inviting. So well done Norma.
Hugs
Wyrna

Anna said...

So much Grandma's love in there! Lovely! Wonderful and many meaningful details..the beautiful little girl will love it later! All the best !

Véronique said...

What a precious baby granddaughter and what a beautiful little room box. So delicate! Something to treasure always! XXX

mcddiss said...

una escena preciosa, me encantan todos los detalles que has puesto y los colores elegidos son muy dulces , tu nieta es un bebe precioso

besitos

Mari

Maria Ireland said...

Your roombox is beautiful. It is so pretty with a lot of wonderful details. Your Granddaughter is gorgeous congratulations.
Hugs Maria

De said...

Love the roombox and your granddaughter is adorable! I love her dark hair.

Wanda said...

Beautiful Norma! What a wonderful gift.

Glenda said...

It looks beautiful, Norma! For a lovely little lady :D

Margaret said...

Gorgeous bub, I bet it will be difficult to keep the little fingers away from this as she grows, it is beautiful Norma.

elizabeth s said...

Hello Norma! What a delightful box full of tiny treasures! I love the way that you have draped the pretty blanket of Susan's work over the chair and the pink and blue one in the shelving unit is wonderful and so are the baby booties! I adore these little gems. The Beatrice Potter plate and accessories and the little doll etc. are a delicate and precious touch that look feminine and pretty in combination with the other items. Your mom's picture of toys makes this like a little heirloom for the next generation. Your new granddaughter is the best part of this post though. What a million dollar smile she has!

elizabeth

Fi.P said...

So adorable Norma, and what a wonderful collection of Australian work! You need just the right little Peter rabbit picture above the chair.

And what a lovely little addition to the RL family...so cute!

ML Fi xx

AMCSviatko said...

How about a framed photo of your grand daughter (or daughter and grand daughter) on the wall above the chair to personalise it even more?

Sans! said...

What a lucky little girl. That little roombox may be small but it is a treasure trove of heirloom pieces, Norma. You are a doting grandma.

Marisa said...

it's very cute and that little blanket is just adorable :)

Plushpussycat said...

Hi Norma, Sorry you were laid up for so long--glad your ankle is better now. Your roombox is darling. The work of all the artists involved is impressive. Your granddaughter is a little doll! xo Jennifer

SaMiRa73 said...

Hi Norma! Congratulations to your little granddaughter - she has a wonderful smile, that makes me smile, too :D
Your little nursery box is full of treasures, I love the wonderful blankets and the way you displayed all this little gems! I have the same plate, but it is waiting for me to go on with my dollhouse´s nursery.For your empty edge I could also imagine a mobile would look nice there. (Right word??) I hope you recover soon completely!
Hugs, Sandra

Tessa Liduina said...

Hi Norma, I am happy to hear your ankle is better now, how unfortunate you had to stay at home for so long to get well again!
Congratulations with your granddaughter. You made her a splendid roombox; a lovely arrangement of all kinds of miniatures and I can understand it took you some time to complete it!
Hugs, Liduina

Yolanda Morán said...

es un trabajo maravilloso, lleno de encanto.
Un abrazo.
Yolanda

A Magical Whimsy said...

Congratulations on your Granddaughter! (My oldest daughter is due with our first Granddaughter in January, they already know what she is going to be!)
I have fallen in love with your blog. I love it!
XO
Teresa in California
http://amagicalwhimsy.blogspot.com/

A Magical Whimsy said...

I love this treasure of lovely items for your granddaughter, especially the color enhanced photo of your mother's own toys as a child. Don't we all wish we had more photos of our own toys growing up!
Thank you for stopping by my blog too!
hugs
Teresa in California
http://amagicalwhimsy.blogspot.com/

Deni said...

I just love little scenes in boxes
So sweet!
Great gift!

Bambi said...

Absolutely adorable on all counts Norma! x

miniacollection said...

Such a sweet scene for a beautiful granddaughter!
Geneviève

minwks said...

Hi Norma,
Such a treasure I life to have Grandchildren and a sweet little gift for her. I can imagine many more little boxes for her in the coming years.
We have now returned to Canada after our amazing 24,000 k trip through WA and NT. Soon the days will shorten and I will feel inclined to be back working on my mini house.
Regards Janine

John said...

What a lucky granddaughter to have such a beautiful heirloom!

Sandra said...

A beautiful roombox for a gorgeous little girl Norma. She is just too cute for words. I hope she treasures this precious gift forever. Hugs, Sandie

Cinderella Moments said...

Your Grandbaby is so beautiful! Congratulations! The little roombox is perfect. It has so many adorable details. Those shoes are incredible!
Beautiful work Norma!
hugs♥,
Caroline

Lady Jane said...

Wonderful Grammy!!!

Marit said...

Hi Norma,

So nice to hear from you! I have been revisiting blogs, but I hadn't come to the 'M' yet. How are you doing, enjoying your grandchildren? Love the little nursery project. Did you every decide on what to hang above the chair? And still working on your French project every now and then?

Nice to have contact again!
Marit